All-new 2023 Alfa Romeo Tonale Makes Global Debut
- Alfa Romeo is proud to present the all-new 2023 Alfa Romeo Tonale, the model that marks the brand’s metamorphosis. While remaining true to its DNA of noble Italian sportsmanship since 1910, Tonale is part of a radical evolution taking place at Alfa Romeo, which looks ahead to a new era of electrification and connectivity
- Tonale features unmistakable Italian design, extraordinarily faithful to the 2019 concept from which it draws its origins with a host of innovative, customer-focused features
- State-of-the-art, plug-in hybrid (PHEV) electric vehicle technology: unique and exclusive technical solutions, created by Alfa Romeo to enhance Tonale’s performance
- Alfa Romeo paradigm: electrification serves the brand with the mission of reinventing sportiness for the 21st century
- Two powertrain offerings:
○ PHEV Q4 AWD, with a six-speed automatic transmission, combines a 15.5-kWh lithium ion battery with a 90 kW electric motor and 1.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine to deliver best-in-class 272 horsepower and an electric range of more than 30 miles (48 kilometers)
○ Q4 AWD 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, with nine-speed automatic transmission and best-in-class standard horsepower rated at 256 and 295 lb.-ft. of torque, equipped with engine stop-start technology that meets the super-ultra-low emissions 30 (SULEV30) standard
- Alfa Romeo DNA: fully integrated driving application delivers optimized maneuvering and performance with three modes of operation:
○ Dual power/Dynamic
○ Advanced efficiency
- In a world exclusive, the Alfa Romeo Tonale is the first car on the market equipped with a NFT (non-fungible token) digital certificate. Based on blockchain technology and uniquely linked, the Tonale NFT certifies the car upon purchase, then evolves to represent its use during the car’s life cycle, with major benefits in terms of protecting residual value
- Tonale features standard Uconnect 5 on a 10.25-inch center touchscreen and 12.3-inch driver’s cluster screen – a best-in-class offering:
○ Alfa Connect with global services delivery platform with greater over-the-air (OTA) capability
○ New infotainment system builds upon a well-established, intuitive user experience (UX) with Android’s automotive operating system
○ Standard wireless Apple CarPlay, wireless Android Auto and wireless charging
○ Exclusive, customizable home screen allows quick access to frequently used features with one-touch operation
○ Alexa home-to-car and car-to-home functionality includes in-vehicle Alexa virtual assistant with natural voice capability
- Technology in the name of safety comes standard, with a host of driver assistance systems:
○ Adaptive cruise control
○ Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR)
○ Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA)
○ Blind spot and Rear Cross Path detection
○ Forward Collision Warning and Automatic Emergency Braking with pedestrian detection
○ Driver Attention Assist and rear seat reminder
○ Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist
- Available level 2 autonomy with Traffic Jam Assist
- Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) suspension tuning becomes the benchmark in driving dynamics for the segment
- The all-new 2023 Alfa Romeo Tonale will be available in three different models: Sprint, Ti and Veloce
- Orders for the all-new 2023 Alfa Romeo Tonale open in the fourth quarter of 2022 with availability in the first quarter of 2023
- Virtual opportunity to watch the global reveal of the Alfa Romeo Tonale
February 8, 2022 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - Alfa Romeo is proud to announce today the all-new 2023 Alfa Romeo Tonale, the metamorphosis – “La Metamorfosi” – of the legendary brand highlighted by a new era of luxury, electrification and connectivity while remaining true to its race-inspired DNA. As the first C-SUV from Alfa Romeo, North American consumers will experience more than 110 years of heritage with the evolution of best-in-class performance from two all-new efficient powertrain offerings, which includes a plug-in hybrid with over 30 miles (48 kilometers) of pure electric range and 272 horsepower. Tonale also features a variety of driver assistance systems, Uconnect 5, an all-new connectivity platform with Alfa Connect, sporty and modern Italian styling that remains faithful to the 2019 concept and exhilarating driving dynamics from a rapid-response Frequency Damping Suspension (FDS) system.
The definitive design of the Tonale is extraordinarily faithful to the concept car from which it draws its origins, courtesy of the remarkable work done at the Design Studio at Centro Stile Alfa Romeo.
Intended for a young, metropolitan and dynamic customer, the Alfa Romeo Tonale offers a distinctive, sensual and forward-looking design. Its compact dimensions – a length of 178.3 inches (4.53 meters), width of 72.4 inches (1.84 meters) and height of 63.0 inches (1.6 meters) – encompass the uniqueness of Italian design, and the original, contemporary style typical of Alfa Romeo, in a synthesis between a prestigious heritage and looking forward to the future.
The recurrence of stylistic features that have entered the history of world motoring, such as the “GT Line” that runs from the rear to the headlights, recalling the forms of the 1960s Giulia GT Junior, and alternating with the full and elegant volumes reminiscent of iconic models, such as the 8C Competizione. The front features the inimitable “Trilobo” and the distinctive Alfa Romeo “Scudetto” shield, which acts as a central focus.
The Tribolo-inspired “3+3” headlight design with new, full LED evoke the proud look of the SZ Zagato or the Proteo concept car. Developed in conjunction with Marelli, the three modules make up a unique frontline for the car and simultaneously provide daylight, dynamic turn signals and a “welcome and goodbye” feature (activated every time the driver turns the car on or off) to ensure the best lighting conditions. These technologies offer greater efficiency, in terms of durability and energy saving with twice the light intensity of conventional halogen lamps, lower emissions and improved safety, with less eye strain and better driving comfort.
The taillights take on the same design cues as the headlights and form a sine curve that fully wraps around the rear of the car, making it a truly unique and distinctive light signature.
The car’s sensuality and dynamism are also clear in the all-encompassing rear window, a tribute to the 8C Competizione, and in the design of the alloy wheels that reproduce the Alfa Romeo style canon of a telephone dial.
Inspired by Alfa Romeo's racing history, the interior is strongly focused on the driver, with easy access to all controls for a safe, unparalleled driving experience. The same care is reserved for the passengers, who are given the ideal space to travel in comfort. This results in an environment designed for and around the occupants, characterized by meticulous attention to detail paired with a constant quest for the highest quality.
The Tonale’s interior arouses real emotions, not to mention the latest technology, ensuring a connected and comfortable experience, while maintaining the pleasure of a sporty drive that always remains in the lead. Everything is focused on the driver, but also considers the comfort of passengers. Unique patterns, logos and colors point to Alfa Romeo. The sporty and high-tech environment with the cool solidity of aluminum and the warmth and softness of leather and Alcantara suede reflect the personality of a young, metropolitan and dynamic customer.
The Tonale is the most efficient plug-in hybrid C-SUV in the segment, with an electric range of more than 30 miles (48 kilometers) and 272-horsepower. The advanced hybrid system uses the 1.3-liter MultiAir turbocharged four-cylinder engine (180-horsepower) to provide torque to the front wheels. A high-voltage Belt Starter Generator, mounted to the engine, delivers torque to the crankshaft to smooth transitions during changing driving conditions, in addition to providing seamless stop-start capability.
The Tonale’s efficiency and sporty performance is bolstered by a 15.5-kWh lithium-ion battery. The exclusive pack design is a good example of component specifically developed to enhance the Alfa Romeo spirit.
The rear axle of the Tonale is powered by a 90-kW electric motor capable of producing 1,844 lb.-ft. (2,500 Nm) of torque from 0 rpm.
The Alfa Romeo Tonale PHEV offers three options in delivering electrified power to the wheels, controlled by the DNA switch. Each mode also includes changes to the driving dynamics (steering, braking and suspension). Regardless of the mode selected, the Tonale operates as an efficient hybrid once the battery nears its minimum state of charge:
• Dual power (PHEV)/Dynamic – Performance with maximum output from both the engine and electric motor
• Natural – Power management is automatic for everyday use. A balance of engine and electric motor without compromising performance or driving comfort
• Advanced efficiency – Designed for pure electric operation, the vehicle will run off the large battery with more than 30 miles (49 kilometers) of pure electric range
The all-new Alfa Romeo Tonale also offers a technologically advanced 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder, a member of Stellantis’ Global Medium Engine family, rated at a best-in-class standard horsepower of 256 and 295 lb.-ft. of torque. Equipped with a twin-scroll, low inertia turbocharger, direct fuel injection and engine stop-start technology, this engine gives Tonale the brand’s iconic dynamic performance and drivability.
The available plug-in hybrid engine is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, while the standard 2.0-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder is paired with a nine-speed automatic. Both propulsion systems feature standard Q4 AWD traction to ensure an unparalleled level of safety and driving pleasure.
Three trim levels are available – Sprint, Ti and Veloce, all with clearly defined specifications that meet the needs of the most discerning customers. The Sprint trim, the gateway to the unique Alfa Romeo experience, can be customized with numerous options for a strong sporty connotation. The Ti trim enhances the Tonale’s qualities of elegance and distinctive character. The Veloce trim reaches the peak in terms of sporty character and luxury.
The Alfa Romeo Tonale is built at the Giambattista Vico Stellantis plant in Pomigliano d’Arco, Naples, Italy – one of the company's most advanced production sites – on a revamped production line dedicated to the new Alfa Romeo model, and a specially created, ultra modern assembly unit. Designed in 1968 by Alfa Romeo and operational since 1972, the industrial complex has produced 5 million cars to date and has won numerous international awards, including in 2012, World Class Manufacturing (WCM) Silver certification and the Automotive Lean Production award for best plant in Europe, followed in 2013 by the WCM Gold Medal and the level of the same name. Last year, the plant underwent a major refurbishment to meet the challenges of the future with the adoption of the most innovative technologies to build hybrid cars.
The 2023 Alfa Romeo Tonale will begin arrving in showrooms throughout North America in the first quarter of 2023.